Friday, May 6, 2011

Place (week 11)



Artist and designer Dan Caron of DC Art & Design, has influenced my work greatly. He does everything from custom artwork, web site design, company logos, professional portraits and fantasy artwork, to computer-generated graphics. As an artist he believes, “The best designs or portraits are immediately pleasing to the eye. They don't need to be explained. The image expresses much more than words can say. Although the reasons for designing a web site, a corporate logo, or even a portrait may differ, the end results should be very well designed, while serving an effective purpose. The ability to come up with an image which is immediately pleasing to the eye is my passion." I particularly enjoy the details, quality, and shading values of his "Girl on the Beach". His range of talent and skill has inspired me try to develop a wide arsenal of my own. I love his techniques and principles in both his photorealism work and his graphic design. I believe that these traits influence me and are often reflected in my work.

The American illustrator, Tracy Sugarman, also influenced my work on this piece. He is a WWII Veteran that has illustrated hundreds of books and record covers in a career lasting over 50 years. I enjoy his drawings of the sea, with birds and boats cutting through the jutting waves. Some of my favorite works by him include Goosebury at Utah Beach, and English Channel Storm. The movement he creates with beautiful line quality and variation pulls the viewer in. He also varies the sharpness in his work to create atmosphere and depth. I try to have these qualities in my work as well.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading about the strong connection you feel to other artists and how you respect their art. Once you find an artist/piece of work that really "speaks" to you, you know it immediately and their/that work will never leave your imagination. It's a beautiful thing. I hope you find more artists/art work like that.

    ReplyDelete