Thursday, February 10, 2011

Humane Expression (week 4)

I was reading Katelin's intro on her blog (http://drawingkatelin.blogspot.com/) and her appreciation for the human expression and form in her work stood out to me. I decided to post my response:

The figure is also one of my favorite subjects. I consider the face, body, and hands the most difficult, and thus satisfying subjects to draw. I love to reproduce unusual and captivating facial and body expressions. I'm sick of every photo where every person has that cheesy "Say Cheese" smile on there face. Of coarse, the beauty of a true smile is endless if you can capture it. I prefer goofy or weird expressions so that with my artwork I recreate those feelings in every viewer in some small way. I think part of the reason we both enjoy drawing faces is that there is a whole section of the brain devoted to facial recognition. This part allows babies to recognize there parents. It allows us to picture people in our mind and remember a face we haven't seen is a long time. It's the reason we see faces in ink blot test, clouds, and that bumpy ceiling stuff.

Here is a poster I made using photoshop for my 2D Digital Imaging class. The purpose of the assignment was to convey an expression, and in this case "frustration" was my subject:

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I love that picture! Amazing use of color and marking. The way you positioned the faces and arms is so unique that it makes me wonder/think more about what's going on which is great for the viewer/art relationship. The movement in the piece is also great because my eye never wants to leave the piece. My eye just keeps moving from face to arm to face to arm, etc. I know you said that you were aiming to convey frustration but that isn't really what I see. I see more of a calm pensive expression. Most people would probably think of frustration when they see it though - especially people in African cultures because if you put your hands on your head like the figures in your piece, it's a sign of great distress. Did you know that? Interesting stuff for sure.

    ReplyDelete